Aunt Joyce’s Crab Quiche
by Bob Misak
If you’ve got some extra crabs to pick after they’ve been steamed or boiled, this is a great way to really enjoy that leftover crab meat. This is a Misak Family Recipe that serves four to six people.
Nothing is more fun to catch than the New Jersey Blue Claw Crab. Barnegat Bay has always been my favorite spot to catch a bushel of this darned delicious delicacy. After steaming and picking our fill of crabs, we always sat and finished pickin’ out the leftover crabs so later we could “savor the flavor” of Aunt Joyce’s Crab Quiche! Now I’m going to share that secret family recipe with all of our FishinJersey.com faithfuls…
AUNT JOYCE’S CRAB QUICHE RECIPE
1 cup of Fresh NJ Blue Claw Crab Meat
1 tablespoon of oil
1 1/2 cups Half & Half
1/2 cup of chopped yellow onion
1 small can of Mushrooms (drained)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of parsley flakes
8 ounces of shredded Swiss Cheese
1 frozen prepared pie shell in aluminum dish or Frozen Prepared Pie Crusts
1) Remove pie crust from freezer. Thaw for 50 minutes at room temperature. If using rolled pie crust, un-roll and place into an un-greased 9 inch glass pie pan. Press the crust against the sides and bottom of the pan. Poke bottom of crust with a fork to make holes in the bottom of the crust.
2) Sautee onion and drained mushrooms in oil. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl, beat together eggs and half & half. Add salt, pepper, parsley, cooked onion, mushrooms and crab meat. Set aside.
4) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake pie crust for eight minutes. Remove from oven.
5) Fill crust with crab mixture. Cover top with 8 ounces of shredded Swiss cheese. Cover edges of crust with foil.
6) Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil from crust edges. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let cool. Delicious served with a fresh New Jersey garden salad! Enjoy!